"GIVE A GIRL THE RIGHT SHOES AND SHE CAN CONQUER THE WORLD." Marilyn Monroe

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Book Review


For those of you interested in a bit of a moody read for these rainy days, I think I have a really great one for you. One of our students read "Ways to Live Forever" over the break and left me a note saying, and I quote, "This book is amazing. I loved it. I think lots of girls will love it - it's so touching and it really gives you something to think about."

So what is this wonderful book about? Well, here's how it starts:

My name is Sam.
I am eleven years old.
I collect stories and fantastic facts.
By the time you read this,
I will probably be dead.

As you may have guessed, Sam is sick - he is in the last stages of leukemia, and he wants to experience everything he possibly can and answer all of the questions nobody ever answers. The book is written as a collection of his journal entries, lists, questions, and pictures, so it's a quick read. And don't think it's all doom and gloom because it has funny moments too. So come give it a try - I'll keep it on special display by the lava lamp!

4 comments:

  1. It's been signed out already! Let me know if you want your name on the waiting list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying it so far, :). Should be done it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am done with the book, you can expect it back on Monday :) it was amazingly moving and found myself at tears near the end. overall good read for anyone of ANY age. was excited to find out that a movie is in production.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed the book and the movie does look amazing - I hope we get it here in P.A.! Have you checked out the author's website at www.sallynicholls.com ? You might enjoy reading some "inside information" about what she was doing and thinking as she wrote this story:)

    ReplyDelete