"GIVE A GIRL THE RIGHT SHOES AND SHE CAN CONQUER THE WORLD." Marilyn Monroe

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

We're living on the edge!

I am just so intrigued by the whole idea of banned and challenged books so I'm going to continue with the same theme today.  I've been on the American Library Association website and I am very surprised at some of the titles which have been challenged in various schools and libraries throughout the United States.  This means that for some reason or another, somebody has attempted to have that book removed from the library shelves.  I'm posting a link to the website, and if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can snoop by year to see which books were on the hotlist.  Just a few that surprised me (and that we have been reading) are Unwind, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, The Kiterunner,  Kaffir Boy, My Sister's Keeper  - I could go on and on.  Many of these are highly acclaimed books.  You'll have to take a look and see why the people were opposed to their presence in the schools/libraries.  Interesting issues to think about!  See you tomorrow.  Junior Bookclub at 12:00.  Maybe 12:02 - depends on what's in my lunch :)

American Library Association Banned Books Week

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I found these cute cat animations and you being a cat owner I thought maybe you'd enjoy them. This is my favorite one :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKvNqe8cKU4&playnext=1&videos=NQaJ4oVXeIs&feature=mfu_in_order

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love It! This has happened at my house so many times!
    Anyone who has trouble copying the link can just search youtube for Simon's Cat in "The Box". Simon's Cat appears in many other funny animations also. Very cute and accurate - if you have a cat you will relate!

    ReplyDelete