"GIVE A GIRL THE RIGHT SHOES AND SHE CAN CONQUER THE WORLD." Marilyn Monroe

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Introducing Our Student Guest Blogger!!

Exciting news today girls! Most of you will know Tristen from having seen her around the school over the last few years, and if you have read any of the comments under my posts you will have enjoyed some of her great book reviews also. So, I, in my GREAT wisdom (ha ha) have decided to hand over the blog to her every now and then to let her review some of the books she has read. So, here in her very first blog post, is TRISTEN (fanfare follows...)

In the story “The Blue Girl” by Charles de Lint, it is not only a story of new beginnings but also the start of magical happenings. Imogene Heap, the new girl at Redding High discovers that while she tries to leave her past behind she is also beginning to enter a completely new world of imaginary friends, ghosts, and fairies.
Charles de Lint is able to paint a new world of magic never seen before, with characters that will surely stay with you, and a new take on fairytales that will leave you craving more.
My reason for my intense love for this book is his play on words, and the description he gives for everything through various character's perspective. He is able to stretch this story from our personal history with bedtime stories to the reality of life we all experience.
I give this wonderful piece of literature a complete 5/5 stars.
The Blue Girl
Mrs. C speaking again with a big thanks to Tristen for a great review of a book which I am personally looking forward to reading. Charles de Lint is also a Canadian author, which I love, as well as winner of the World Fantasy Award. Definitely worth checking out - get the library humour? I have put a senior label on it, though, so it is for grades ten and up.

7 comments:

  1. Over at Coles I saw a Charles de Lint young adults novel on sale, "Little (Grrl) Lost" for about 6 $. Already saving up my pennies for it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm at the mall today I'll have a look - I already HAVE that many pennies and could pre-buy it for the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got it Tristen. I'll bring it for you Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imogene Heap? As in, one of my favourite musicians, but with an added "e" at the end of her first name? If you don't know Imogen Heap, you need to check her out on YouTube - look up "Just For Now." It is one of the coolest live examples of looping music that I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was Quinn's immediate comment also: "He stole that name!" I forgot to ask Tristen if there's a tie-in in the book; perhaps she is named after the musician or has changed her name. We will have to investigate! I am heading over to YouTube now to watch the video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. imogene heap did a beautiful duet with mika on his new album....if that is any relevance

    ReplyDelete
  7. I checked out Imogen Heap's "Just for Now" video - AMAZING! Also checked out Mika and oh my gosh - is every teenage girl in love with this guy and I've just missed the memo? Bieber shmieber - this guy has it all - adorable accent, cute hair, talent, awesome quirky wardrobe - and yes, I did listen to his duet with Imogen Heap which was beautiful. I really enjoyed the interview I watched though, something like "the boy who knew too much," - kind of inspirational about following your dreams and doing what you really love to do in life. He's a very nice young man. Thank you for telling me about him. It's important to keep us middle-aged folks in the loop.

    ReplyDelete